March 30, 2009

Minthuwun’s Centenary

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


Minthuwun is a well known name in Burma

He was a great poet and Burmese professor

He has a great number of followers in the nation

His poetry gives pleasure, poetics and patriotism.



I remember reciting his poems of Thabyenyo Kabyar

When I was in early teen in my native Monywa

It instilled in me love of poetry and Burmese literature

That increased as I grow older till I became a writer.


Thabyenyo poems gave me pleasure and purpose

It made me recite whenever I was in trough

Down with mishaps, malcontent and misery

It refreshed my resolve and resurrected me.



Young children love his poems by singing

Verses like “Ka Kazun Bin Ye Hmar Shwin”

Water Cress Grows Well in Water, it means

Children thus acquire love of poetry and singing

Valuing vegetables and usefulness of simple things

He thus instilled love of nature and natural surroundings.



He was an educational psychologist too

His children stories and fables are morally true

To the concept of honoring honesty and bravery

Promoting perseverance, selflessness and sobriety

Many matured through “Ko Khwe Ma Khwe” poetry

His other writings contributed much in uplifting morality.


(Saya Zaw Gyi and Saya Minthuwun, Two Khitsan Poets)


His writings on Burmese literature abound

Burmese literati and lecturers love them all along

He covered a lot of subjects and topics of the town

From orthography, history to linguistic grounds

Serious, not so serious and lightly touched forms

Minthuwun was an encyclopedic crown!


He was one of the “Khit San” literati

That emerged from the Rangoon University

He continued blossoming since 1930s

He became a master of “Khit San” poetry

He left precious purposeful poems for posterity

Without them, Burmese poetry would be in jeopardy.


Minthuwun also contributed translation in the country

He was one of the founders of the Burma Translation Society

And he headed Translation Department of Rangoon University

He had translated English classics into Burmese vocabulary

Shakespeare’s King Lear was his very last commission

He was awarded the National Literary Prize distinction.


I have the fortune of meeting him personally

He was modest, well mannered and meekly

He treated us as friends frankly and warmly

I felt so honored to be treated as such honestly

Burma should be proud of such a poet laureate

Actually he was more than that and really great

Let us join together to celebrate his 100th birthday

May he be remembered for ever in worthy ways!


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

15.01.2009 (original)


Note: (1) Composed to celebrate the Centenary of

Minthuwun’s Birth on 10th February 2009 ,

but a public ceremony was held on 10th March 2009

in Yangon.So I waited until now to upload the poem.

MMN 30.03.2009

(2) Kabyar = Poetry o Poem

(3) Khitsan = Time testing

(4) Thabyenyo = Eugenia Leaves, Burmese symbol of victory

No comments: