March 9, 2009

A Day to Remember!

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


I still remember the day I sat for my viva

It was hot, humid and hectic than ever

As I had to face the professors as my examiners

It was the day I defended my thesis as a researcher.


(University of London Crest or Logo)


The examination was to take place in Professor’s room

I thought I had not read enough and it arrived too soon

I had worked on my subject day and night over three years

Professor Bowden said it was more than enough to be clear.


(University of London Senate House)


I bounded the thesis just three days ago

Professor Bowden congratulated me for its glow

I had to masquerade the help of Burmese fellows

They helped me in arranging the pages in serial flow.


(London House Where Copies of My Thesis Were Made Ready to be

Bound Overnight)


Nyunt Hlaing,Tin Htay and Min Maw helped me with chores

I finished assembling six copies of my thesis overnight in one go

I feted them with late night supper as a kind of celebration

I would be a Ph.D. if all went well at the oral examination.


( Dr Maung Maung Nyo (MMN) in Ph.D. London Gown)


So I was excited and restless in the morning of that day

I took shower, breakfast and dressed hastily in disarray

But friends said I dressed in three piece suit looked great

Professor’s smile encouraged me to feel so to face my fate.


(Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine (RFHSM), No. 8 Hunter Street,

London WC 1, England Where I learned and Earned for My Ph.D.)


At 9.00 am I was ushered in to the Professor’s Office

Professor Bowden smiled and introduced me in brief

Professor J.T. Aitken of University College shook my hand

He said he had read my thesis and found it to be a good brand.


(University College, London, Now Joined with the RFHSM to form

the New Medical School)


He then said I had cited so many references in hundreds

He liked to see them how I kept them in harness

I took him to my room and showed him how I kept

He was amazed and congratulated me it was an asset.


He then asked me from the page 1 to page 150

I answered them clearly and concisely and coolly

He was amazed by my grasp of my subject on my finger tips

Professor Bowden smiled broadly satisfied with my scholarship.


“OK, I have no more questions,” Professor Aitken declared

It took nearly three hours to answer his questions so far

Professor Bowden said,” You are excused and wait for the result”

I left her room and took off my jacket and waist coat as hot stuffs.


Then, Professor Bowden called me back again in ten minutes

Professor Aitken smiled and shook my hand again he pleased

He said to me, ”Congratulations! You have passed Ph.D. examination”

Professor Bowden then asked me to join them at luncheon as celebration.


We took lunch in the medical school cafeteria

A big table was reserved for three of us together

Tomato soup beef steak and steamed vegetables served

Coffee and chocolate cake made the desirable dessert.


(MMN With Professor Ruth Bowden on Right Who was His

Supervisor, Colleague, Mentor and Mother in London)


Professor Aitken praised me on my hard work

He asked whether I liked to continue staying there

Professor Bowden said she did not think I want such

I also said so I was going back to my country Burma.


In the evening Professor Bowden invited me to dinner

She said my result had been confirmed I as the winner

She would send her Rolls Royce to fetch me from London House

I thus had to take shower and dress properly to be on the look out.


(A Rolls Royce Handmade for the Customer That Like the One

Professor Bowden Owned, but Used to Ferry Others Like Us)


The Rolls Royce took me to her residence

There Professor was waiting with a friend

She introduced me as Mary her classmate

She was a warm friendly pathologist of top grade.


( The Royal Society of Medicine in London, at Night)


The Rolls Royce then took us to the Royal Society of Medicine

We three were all the Fellows of the Society genuine and clean

I was made a fellow by Bowden to read journals and magazines

She took us to the top floor where there was a first class cuisine.


(The Royal Society of Medicine, No. 1 Wimpole Street, London

in the Day Time)


Professor Bowden offered us wines and whisky

She drank wine and spoke a lot as she was happy

She told her friend that I was a model Ph.D. student

She was glad I had fulfilled fully all my requirements.


(Interior of the Royal Society of Medicine)


Dr Mary drank Whisky

She was also a bit giddy

They asked me to drink Sherry

In no time I was merry too.


(The Royal Society of Medicine Library)


We had a good menu

Prawns, lobsters and beef too

We ate until our stomachs were full

We ate and talked until midnight cool.


Professor Bowden told me my result had been approved

The date of declaration for my Ph.D. was good

It was 21st July 1969 as we made the viva through

I said it’s my date of birth in Roman calendar too.


(A Photocopy of the Ph.D. Degree Scroll of the University of London)


Yes, I was exactly thirty years of age to be a Ph.D.

I was so happy to be coincidental in my biography

That I could serve my country well while young

I was determined nothing would deter me in this errand.


( MMN in Black Jacket in the Centre of Front Row as Head of Department

of Anatomy at Institute of Medicine 2, Yangon, 1970)


So, I have served my country since young

I was a medical graduate at age twenty one

I was a Ph. D. at age thirty years and served then

I have served my country for a total of thirty seven!


(The Symbol of Higher Education in Burma, Convocation Hall of

the University of Rangoon, Where MMN Graduated in 1961, Served

Burma from 1961 to 1998 in Various Capacities as From Medical

Doctor Through Writer Editor Researcher to Professor)


(Prof. MMN Trained Other Scientists for B.Sc.(Anatomy),

M.Sc. and Ph.D. Degrees in Burma)


Who else I would serve rather than my country men?

I’m fortunate to be born and brought up in Burma land

I worship Buddha, Dharma and Sangha every day

I thank my parents and teachers as benefactors always

I never forget Professor Bowden gave me on that day

It was 21st July 1969 in my memory it says and stays!


(Logo or Seal of the University of Rangoon)


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

10.03.2009 (original)

No comments: