A State Scholar’s Journey to Great Britain
(Bilat Pyin-Nya-Daw-Thin Kha-Yee)
(Shwedagon Pagoda and Kandawgyi Lake at Night, Rangoon)
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
I do not forget one day in 1965 December
I received a letter from the WHO Office in
Informing me a Fellowship granted for one year
That would be extended for Ph.D. if I endeavor.
(Logo of Institute of Medicine 2: Service, Sympathy & Humanity)
I had to go there before the end of 1966 April
The date had been set to accomplish the study
Professor Bowden had consented to accept me.
(A Painting of Medical College 2, Mingaladon where I Trained First)
I was more than happy to learn the news
It spread like wild fire in the medical school
People greeted me with envy and enthuse
Friends gave farewell parties full.
(The Chindwin River at Monywa Where I was Born)
My father was very proud of me
He talked about this incessantly
Whenever he had his friends company
He was an admirer of the Oxford Diary.
It was written by Theikpan Maung Wa or U Sein Tin
It described in details the author’s ICS training
At the
My father dreamed for me such a rare finishing.
Burmese Government issued my passport only in 1966 April
I had to squeak and squeal around as it’s time for Water Festivities
The WHO gave me air ticket, money and direction for smooth journey
I had to see the British Counselor personally to issue a visa timely.
(The BOAC, Now British Airways Plane That Carried me From Yangon
It was 21 April 1966 I boarded the plane in Mingaladon
BOAC plane from Hongkong came to take me to
It’s the first time I boarded an intercontinental flight
I was excited and glad I had such a rare opportunity in life.
(New Delhi International Airport Departure Terminal)
The plane took me first to
It’s the capital of
The airport was spit clean as brand new category
People were every where moving fast with urgency.
(New Delhi Air Port Terminal)
We disembarked from the plane for window shopping
There were tax free shops in the airport lobby
Whisky, wine, cigarettes and perfumes displayed prominently
Many travelers bought for their loved ones and friends briskly.
(Red Fort, New Delhi)
I went to the bath room to answer the nature’s call
I was followed by many Indians loitering in the hall
They asked for money telling me of their miseries and mishaps
I was surrounded by beggars like cunning cats around a rambling rat.
(An Indian Dancer)
We boarded the plane again after half an hour
The British air hostesses were full of ardor and endeavor
They helped in carrying the parcels and presents into the carrier
They then served us snacks and refreshments to make us merrier.
(Beirut International Airport)
The plane then landed in
We had about one hour to fret and fathom
All were tax free but to be careful to be fool proof.
(Interior of Beirut International Airport)
I bought a Swiss made Omega watch as a souvenir
To mark that I have been to the
Lebanese forefathers excelled in trades around the world
They made
The Phoenician Alphabets are now used as English alphabets
All European and new nations adopted their scripts as best
To denote various sounds and symbols in letter writing
It’s called “Romanization of One’s Language” for modernizing!
(London Heathrow International Airport)
Our plane landed at the
It’s 22nd April to be remembered as my first arrival in
My heart throbbed, my head popped and my face flushed with satisfaction
I was now here to study hard to gain a higher degree of Ph.D., my dream!
(Interior of the Heathrow International Air port)
The British Immigration Officers were nice and smiling
They asked me politely about anything I bought tax free
I showed the Omega watch I bought in
They let me go after seeing my old watch and receipt perfunctorily.
(Crowd in the Heathrow International Airport)
I took out my luggage at the baggage belt
It was automatic and arranged to be self help
I had no difficulty in getting my suit case
Customs Officers let me go as VIP in haste.
I asked the BOAC hostess how to get to
She pointed me to the shuttle bus stop in tandem
She complimented that my English was a superb one
I told her I learned it in
I boarded the bus from Heathrow to London Air Terminal
I arrived there after about half an hour interval
A British Council Guide was waiting for my arrival
He took me straight to Ministry of Health at Elephant and Castle.
I met Dr Bloss at the Health Ministry
He would look after me through out my study
He was warm, sympathetic, friendly and full of sincerity
I was sure I would succeed in my life journey.
(Professor Ruth E.M.Bowden OBE, MBBS, FRCS, D.Sc. and Me)
The Guide Mr Randolph then took me to
We arrived there in no time to see Professor Bowden neat
She welcomed me warmly and asked me to keep my self fit.
(London Tower Bridge, A Symbol of London, Great Britain)
Thus I arrived in the
It was a day very important in my life as it is
Transforming me from a mere person to a scientist
I never forget all my benefactors who contributed to this;
(Buckingham Palace With Red Flowers Blooming in the Spring)
Colonel Tun Hla Pru for introducing me to Dean Ko Ko Gyi
The latter for offering me an unusual post from the army to MC
Colonel Hla Han for doing all unorthodox for my postgraduate study
Professor H. Zaw Tun for initially taming and training me in anatomy
Professor Ruth Bowden for supervising me to be a successful PhD
I’m grateful to them and WHO from the bottom of my heart to last eternity!
(Dr Maung Maung Nyo M.B.,B.S.(Rn), Ph.D.(London)
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
04.03.2009













No comments:
Post a Comment