My Benefactors, My Saviours!
Looking back into seventy years of my life
I found several people saving me from strife
Some saving my life in the nick of time
Some paving my life for the bliss of sublime
I won't be what I’m today without them
I always feel grateful to their helping hands.
(Dr Maung Maung Nyo M.B., B.S. (Rangoon), Ph.D.(London)
Once I was swimming in the
I was eight or nine years old trying to be fitter
I was not an expert swimmer and drowned
My elder sister on the bank panicked and howled
A strong brown young man grasped my hair along
I was saved from drowning to live long till now
My sister always helps me whenever I’m near drowning
I feel I owe a debt of gratitude to her now that I’m grounding.
(My Elder Sister and Her Husband: L U Bo Kyin, R Daw Khin Yee)
I’m a studious student with scholastic sentiments
I was always in the top of the class since enrollment
But I used to waver whenever persuaded by faulty friends
I slipped from top positions in 5th standard as being deviant
Playing frolicking and being truant from class with classmates
Saya U Soe Pe pinched my ear in the class for being half baked
I began correcting my behavior to better myself under his tutelage
That led me to my success to clinch 7th standard scholarship accolade.
(My Sister's Family: L to R: Soe Min Oo, DawKhin Yee, Chaw Su,
U Bo Kyin, Myo Min Latt)
I studied seriously at the premedical class in
It was highly competitive with scholars from near and away
But there were also temptations to be truant and seductive ways
Saya Khin Maung Nyo corrected my behaviour whenever I swayed
He taught, he tamed and he trained me to be an all round smart scholar
I always watched my step when I was going to leap to be spectacular
I therefore owe him a lot of gratitude for my sobering mood and manner
I thus became cautious and considerate in all decisions I made thereafter.
(Colonel Dr Ko Ko Gyi, M.B.,B.S.(Rgn), American Board Certified Internist,
American Board Certified Psychiatrist; Rector of IM 2, CO No. 1 BMH,
General Secretary of Burma Red Cross Society in His Days)
Meeting with Dr Tun Hla Pru paved my profitable way in life
It transformed me from a slumbering soldier to scholar overnight
Dr Ko Ko Gyi changed my life in such a fashion with might
These two people are my benefactors visible brightly in sight
I always pay homage to them when I pray to Buddha day and night
I think I owe a debt of gratitude for their sincere help that was right.
(Professor Ruth Bowden in the middle in India)
Of course the role of Colonel Hla Han could not also be forgotten
He was at the time Director of Medical Services commanding then
He was recruiting as many doctors as possible to join the Burma Army
Yet he let me go from the army to the medical college lost to academy
Besides he had to look for WHO scholarship for me to work for Ph.D.
Only foresight fortitude and vision enabled him to study for such degree
He took care of me during my study in
He ignored military attaché to send me home for not spying on state scholars.
(Dr Maung Maung Nyo and Dr Nan Ommar)
Needless to say Professor Bowden was a great benefactor
She taught me the A to Z of research to be a Ph. D. scholar
Coupled with mature thinking right reasoning and correct behavior
What I’m and what I earn as an anatomist owe a gratitude to her
I’m blessed with her methods of systemic reasoning and clean living
My wife praised me for keeping clean even in the kitchen during cooking
Besides being determined in pursuit of justice and dedicated to work
I'm always a defender of truth, developer of justice and demonstrator of the heart.
(My Family: L to R: MMN, Yupar Nyo, NOM, Ei Sabai Nyo)
Last but not the least is one of my greatest benefactors
She looks after my health she takes care of my life and letters
She may not be as educated as I’m or as the great professors
None the less she knows what I read what I write and consider
She helps me in getting out so many literary works and books
She fends of my dangers she protects me from con men and crooks
(My Parents: Daw Aye Sein and U Hla Maung)
She saves whatever is savable from my earnings for good use and purpose
Without her wise efforts and vision we would be poor and have starved
Besides bearing and giving birth to two darling daughters our eye sights
I therefore hail her as one of the best if not the best benefactors of my life!
(Our Daughters at Graduation for Master of Computer Science Degree)
There are many other benefactors too
Some may be better, some equally true
But the aforementioned are salient few
They changed my life through and through
Some saved my breathing life away from death
Some saved me to change behaviour for success
Professor Maung Maung Nyo M.B., B.S.(Rangoon). Ph.D. (London) and
Dr Nan Ommar B.Sc. (Anatomy), M.B.,B.S.(Rangoon), M.Sc.(Anatomy)
Others still steered me from bad to good or better
There is no need to mention the debts of Anandangapa
Buddha, Dharma, Sangha, parents and teachers
I pay homage to them daily in my prayers for ever.
(The Great Shwe Dagon Pagoda)
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
29.03.2009 (original)
Note: Anandangapa = Five Great Benefactors for Boundless Benefits viz.
Buddha, Dharma (doctrine), Sangha (Monks), Parents and Teachers







2 comments:
Sayargyi,
By the same kindness we received from our benefactors, may we also be benefactors for the society at large. It's the best way to honour our benefactors. Sadhu, sadhu, sadhu!
Dear Alvin,
Thank you.You are right. Doctor and Society are mutually benefiting one another.
Yours sincerely,
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
Post a Comment