March 23, 2009

A Family Meal

Dr Maung Maung Nyo


Our children asked me to cook for them

So I promised to cook on this Sunday grand

When all of them would be free and can join

I have time to buy beef Burmese spices and thyme

I went to the grocery stores and supermarket near by

It was Saturday holiday and I shopped with style.


(ESN and Yupar Nyo, YPN)


I kept the beef in the kitchen refrigerator

So were tomatoes lemon grass and ginger

I took out beef this morning to be marinated

With glacial acetic acid and soy sauce filtrated

I then cut ginger, onion and garlic into small pieces

I sliced the tomatoes into quadrants into nice niches.


(YPN , MMN, ESN, Aung Myo Kyaw ,AMK, His Parents

U Thein Kyaw, Daw Mya Mya Win)


I put corn oil into the cooking pot

I made the gas ring to be burning hot

I pour ginger pieces first and stirred

Add onion flakes one by one whirled

When all were brown I put garlic

All the smell made the base terrific.



(MMN, YPN, ESN, Nan Ommar)


I stirred continuously with added tumeric

Salt and red chili powder to look reddish

Then I transferred marinated chunks of beef

I churned the beef dices to be coated with

The red yellowish curry paste and mixed

I moved the scoops for about two minutes.


(Hot and Spicy Beef Curry Cooked by MMN)


I then poured a cup of clear water

Add a spoonful of curry powder or Masala

Add the cut pieces pf tomato and again stirred

I left it for five minutes to boil for flavour

I then sprinkled two or three bay leaves

I completed it with lemon grass piece.


(Hot and Spicy Chicken Potato Burmese Curry)


It was ready for eating after about ten minutes

The beef cubes were red tender and sweet

Its smell made one scintillated and salivated

My wife and daughter said they were fascinated.


I had already peeled the potatoes

It was easily done with the peeler mould

I cut each of them into four pieces party

I kept them ready to be used for Burmese curry

I would cook with onion, garlic and ginger

It’s mixed with a little bit of prawns and Masala.


(My Old Beef Curry, Oily But Delicious)


I have never tried cooking potato

I just enjoyed eating them in solo

At Indian shops and Asian restaurants

I liked it as it was sweet tender and succulent.


Therefore I was trying to cook it first time

I tried to visualize how they cook in style

I fried ginger onion and garlic to brown

I mixed them with salt chili and saffron

I gave a nice smell of usual Indian food

Then I added the potato with a clean scoop.


(Burmese Pea Soup Covered With Fried Onion, Garlic and Chili)


I stirred the potato chunks to mix well with basic stuff

When all were almost orange or reddish as much

I added two cups of water to cover them and boil

I covered the lid of the pot and waited for a while

I took out a piece of potato when surface had oil

I tasted the potato piece and found it fragrant and fine

I had used good Masala and plenty of chili

I think that made my potato a good Indian style curry.


(Bamar Ahloo Hin, Burmese Potato Curry or Dish)


I had cooked the Kalapea or gram peas already

It was cooked in mass for all to see

My wife willingly heated it ready for eating

With mango Chutney or pickled mango green

The luncheon was ready for our family

We’re waiting for Ei Sabai and her hubby.


We could no longer wait after one O’ Clock

We placed the plates and set the table about

Yupar, Nan and I ate the meal as lunch as much

We found all our food fragrant tender and delicious.


Ei and Aung could join us only after we finished

They could not join us in time as there’s glitch

Aung was speaking to his sister in Singapore

It took about half or one hour talking to and fro

Burmese are enjoying free speech outside their country

Telephone connection is excellent and atmosphere is free.


They also ate like ravens

They ate with hands

Their heads were looking down steady

They said food was so nice and tasty.


Yupar then said whatever I cooked was delicious

She liked to eat hot and spicy chicken potato

I was flattered and promised her to cook up

I told Nan not to interrupt and let me cook solo

Every one laughed and asked her to leave me free

They said I have become a good chef of the family.


So today I cooked chicken and potato curry

Nan and I went to the oriental stores for chili

It was red powder in packet so lovely to see

When I tasted it was really hot and spicy

Nan could not eat such hot meat and dishes

Her tongue is not used to eating burning mixes

I’m an Anyartha and fond of chili Ngapichet

My daughters inherit from me the love of spices.


(Baby YPN One Month Old in NOM's Hands At Home, Parami, Yangon)


So today we would be enjoying eating another family meal

It will be composed of meat, vegetables, spices and peas

Each one of us will eat voraciously without regret

Here in Australia food was plenty and materials all select

What you need is just to think about food and how to cook

We in our family cook differently every time as we think good!


Dr Maung Maung Nyo

23.03.2009 (original)


Note: Glossary

Anyartha = Upper Burman

Kalapea = Indian gram pea

Masala = Curry powder composed of five spices

Ngapichet = Spicy salted prawn curry

No comments: