All are suffering…
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
I thought I was a smart chap
But, I was born naked
I cried like mad when I was born
It’s life’s beginning norm.
(A child, foetus, in mother's womb)
I looked for food when I was hungry
I stumbled and scooped anything handy
I swallowed mother’s milk and vegetables
I ate all that was available.
(Romeo and Juliet, a classic example of love, romance,
parting and death; a terrible tragedy)
When I grew older I ate everything
From milk to meat and peas to pudding
When not fed, I cried continuously
Parents spanked me for being naughty.
At school I had to learn lessons lamely
Sometimes teachers scolded or struck me
For being full of frailties, follies and fooleries
I’m fortunate I graduated to have a degree.
Sometimes, I played with friends for fun
Often times, we played hit and run
I hit others when I won; then I felt glad
When they hit me I felt pain and bled.
( Martyrs' Mausoleum for General Aung San
and his Comrades Assassinated on 19.7.1947 in Rangoon)
From sport and play real life began to take toll
Some friends failed and some disappeared whole
Other friends joined work force, armed forces or more
I was left lamented and lonely to try to level score
I had to make new friends and let the love bird grow
It started my heart pains and longings for a romantic glow
“Love begins with pain, lives with it and ends in pain”
Lord Buddha said, “Tahna is the basis of Samsara chain.”
Now that I’m seventy
I have suffered many;
My heart is full of maladies
My head is filled with follies;
My body is covered with scars
Of physical and mental tortures;
I realized pain is every where
My life is a suffering reservoir.
(Victims of Cyclone Nargis waiting for Food Donation)
I now know life is suffering…
Birth is suffering
Living is suffering;
Death is suffering
Disease is suffering;
Love is suffering
Romance is suffering;
Learning is suffering
Earning is suffering;
Failure is suffering
Success is suffering;
Poverty is suffering
Wealth is suffering;
Obscurity is suffering
Fame is suffering;
Marriage is suffering
Family is suffering;
Fun is suffering
Hunger is suffering;
Eating is suffering
Obesity is suffering;
Growing is suffering
Old age is suffering.
(Buddha in Dukkarasariya Mode,
not Dukkha Mode)
Oh! Every thing is suffering
Bhawa (Human life) is suffering
Samasara is full of suffering
It’s Dukkha, the un-escapable eternal thing!
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
18.11.2008 (original, poetry only)
Note: Dukkasariya = Most difficult meditation practice
Dukkha = Suffering
Samsara = Cycle of births and rebirths
Tahna = Craving or attachment





No comments:
Post a Comment