November 29, 2008

In Memory of Bhamo (Bamaw) Tin Aung

Uncle Bhamo Tin AungThat I Have Met
By Pho Than (Ludu)

Translated by Dr Maung Maung Nyo

At the age of ten years
I visited the Rangoon Prison enclosure
I met Uncle Bhamo Tin Aung with my father
He was my hero, then that of a primary student
He was “Prince of Prison” after Independence;



(The Late Bhamo Tin Aung)

He writes the novels, Great Rebel and Mother
(I’ve not read them at that juncture)
By just hearing about him I admired
Now, in prison I was meeting him in person there
Beside him were...
Shwe Dah
Moe Hein
Maung Ne Win
Linyone Maung Maung
Sun-Nyunt-Oo U Hla Khin
All established writers!

(Ludu U Hla, Writer, Journalist, social Activist)

Flags of white doves were flying
Myat Lay, Mar Mar Aye and Yi Lay were singing
Their songs were strong and sweet
They are demanding for internal peace
Also for world peace ;
(Popular and Progressive Vocalist Mar Mar Aye)

Their voices were loud and clear
The majority of people also were here
People included arriving in our home at this juncture...

(Thakhin Kodaw Hmaing, GOM of Burma)

Sayagyi Thakhin Kodaw Hmaing
Retired Brigadier-General Kyaw Zaw
Physician Dr Sin Pho
Writer and Poet Dagon Taryar


(Brigadier Kyaw Zaw)

Then author of the book Civil War,
Who was given a long-term prison sentence, my Uncle
Bhamo Tin Aung, the invincible indomitable writer!
For an important matter
They were now traveling together.


(Dagon Taryar, Writer, Poet, Peace Activist)

The next time I met him
It was not a pleasant thing
An island surrounded by water on all sides
Where heroes sacrificed their lives
He was found with Mya Than Tint
Parachutist Bo Ohn Maung, Saya Rajan
Yebaw Khin Maung Myint ;



(Ludu Daw Ah Mar, Wife of Ludu U Hla)

Old Uncle Thakhin Khin Aung
There were leaders, heroes
Ordinary comrades like this fellow
Fire wood cutters, fishermen
Cobblers and handy men
They were singing and shouting slogans
Eating coconuts and waging hunger strike often
It was lucky they did not die in the mayhems
They were saved from death
They returned home just intact.

(Cocos Island, remote, Dark and Bleak)

On meeting my Uncle
I was meeting a special person who was capable
Endowed with loving kindness and loyalty
Sila or morality and integrity
Full of knowledge and bravery
That was what I believed sincerely.


(Insein Prison Aerial View)

But, one day in my vision
Darker than the dark prison
More isolated than a remote island
Uncle went to an invisible hinterland
He went alone in this sojourn
Without any companion or clone
No! No! It should not be so alone;



At Yeway Cemetery stands
Shan, Bamar, Kachin, Karen
Indian, Chinese, all ethnic groups and clans
Venerable Buddhist monks came
Christian nuns acclaimed
Undertakers of cemetery, Subarajas
Undertakers of literati, publishers
Even the Bodaws or Guru Astrologers
His comrades-in-arms and colleague writers
People of all sorts, his admirers, adorers
In short those who knew values and valour
Came singing hymns and ringing bells
Bouquets of bright red roses adorned well
Uncle enjoyed a beautiful death to tell;
Untimely death, I would say;
But, if death comes to me one day
I wish I die like him a hero’s way!




Pho Than (Ludu) on 30th Anniversary of
Bhamo Tin Aung’s Death (October 23, 1978)
Translated by Dr Maung Maung Nyo (29.11.2008)

No comments: