November 18, 2008

I’m nothing, no self...

(Anatta)
Dr Maung Maung Nyo

Many people say, “This is mine”
They do not know “Self” is denied
But, they’re angry when called "selfish"
They want to keep the cake and eat it!

(Space seen through the Telescope)

I know I looked selfish
I did every thing polished
In tip top form to finish with
People say I did it for my Id.

(The Earth seen from Space, the place we live in)

I was also proud of my achievements
I looked upon them as life’s ornaments
Degrees, higher degrees and fellowships
Prizes and accolades made my life twitch.

(The Human Brain, seat of Id, Ego and Super-Ego,
Intelligence, Sacrifice and Selfishness)

But, what is I?
Is it a Burman, Asian or American guy?
I cannot find any one in mine
Those labels are just slime!

( The Dark Ring of Matter in the Universe, origin of All
Living and Non-Living Things)

My body is made of cells and tissues
They are constantly growing and dying
They simply follow the physical rules
You cannot find an eternal mind plying.
(Neanderthal, a human species before our own,
Homo Sapiens)

Mind is a mirage of changing conscience
Conscience is the property of neural matter
Matter is subject to change in essence
How can there be a soul in the body tattered?

(Men in Duel Fight, Fencing, each with his own Ego)

A person is born due to Kamma
He’ll grow old or die due to Anicca
When he dies only his Kammic forces persist
Those forces are born in another being that fits.

I know Hinduism has Atta or Ataman
It’s the driving force for all human
It is transmigrated in different life
Buddhism has no Ataman to fight.

(The Space, the Universe and the World exist on their own,
but different religion interprets them differently.)

Judo-Christian religions have a soul
That’s permanent for a fellow
It will go to heaven or hell as he dies
Almighty God will determine.

(God's Angel)

For me, what ever happened was beyond my control
Birth, schooling, love, marriage, all in the natural roll
Things happened according to its merits and reasons
Those are the things happening out of my schemes.

I can’t control what is happening outside my body
I also cannot control what is happening inside me
Every thing happens according to cause and effect
I now know it’s the natural phenomenon at the outset.


(Explosion in Universe, in a billionth of a second, things
are formed or destroyed, independent of human's will)

It’s like universe existing independent of human beings
The” big bang” exploded and started it expanding
Stars and planets are formed and earth is a planet
Animals evolved and we all share earth as habit
So is our human body born out of natural matter
It follows the law of nature and changing ever.



(The Big Bang, beginning of the Universe)


Consciousness emanates from the brain in action
Consciousness is always fleeting like lightning
Seeing those ever changing consciousness is an illusion
That makes it soul and mind evolved in a string
I now know it’s just an illusion and a blinded thing.

(Gautama Buddha Preaching the Four Eternal
Truths, Dhamma Setkya, to Five Precepts)

I now know I’m nothing
I mean non-self, no meaning
I don’t possess any thing
I feel relieved with this life’s theme
Oh, Lord Buddha, I see Anatta as self clean
It’s the cause and effect that create living beings.

Dr Maung Maung Nyo
19.11.2008 (original poetry only)

No comments: