An Eventful Day for Parents
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
It’s an eventful day today
Groom’s parents would come and say
Their son is ready to be engaged to our daughter
We have to accept it fitting the Burmese culture.
My wife got up and washed early today
She cleaned and cooked in the kitchen
She had assembled Burmese delicatessens
She cooked them quickly for cool display.

(The Great Shwedagon Pagoda in Rangoon)
I hurried my self washing this morning
I scrubbed, shaved and showered in succession
I dressed myself modestly but in gentleman fashion
I was ready to receive varied guests even a king.

(Standing Buddha Speaking Sigalovada Sutta)
Groom’s parents were to arrive at ten thirty
But, my bride-to-be daughter rang me early
They got up late and taken sticky rice at ten
So, they would be late and come only at eleven.
(Buddha:Family Income to be Used Wisely)
So, we did things in steady and systemic fashion
Every thing was ready by ten in the morning
Mohinga soup was hot, sending smell and brewing
Monphat (rice vermicelli) was white and waiting
To be served with coriander, chili and cut boiled eggs
All the ingredients were ready on the table to be made.
Just over eleven O’ Clock they arrived
First, would-be bride and groom, then his parents
All were well dressed, smiling, sweet and radiant
They all greeted us warmly and we reciprocated.
(A Model Burmese Family; General Aung San,
Daw Khin Kyi and Baby))
The groom’s parents were first given seats
My wife and I then sat at a nearby sofa neat
Son and daughter stood at a distance and noted
We exchanged pleasantries, personal data and spoke;
I invited them to open their bid if they have any
Groom’s father frankly asked for my daughter’s hand
To be married to his son whenever our side agrees
We said we accept their request and it all depends
On the couple to set a date for marriage when
So, engagement was a success and completed then.
(Burmese Delicatessens Mohinga)
We just needed to get up and eat
That they also agreed and finished
Thus we headed to the dining table
We sat facing each other as responsible pair
Groom’s parents on one side together
Bride’s parents facing them right there
Bride and groom sat at each end of the table.

(A Bowl of Delicious Mohinga, Burmese Vermicelli in Soup)
All of us enjoyed eating Mohinga and appetisers
All the time speaking and swearing about Burma
Bride’s elder sister taking pictures with pleasure
It was a day well spent for our young daughter.
(Wedding and Engagement Flowers)
The groom’s parents left happy and heartily
They said they were glad for son’s future family
They entrusted us to look after them as the need be
They would go back to Burma after son being married.
(Our Family; MMN, NOM, YPN, ESN)
My wife was also happy for our younger daughter
She can now rest assured for her future family altogether
Like her elder daughter who is employed, 1 ½ years older
Ei is just 25 years old, but employed earlier as team leader
She gained a Master’s in computer science in Australia
Both are Masters, able to establish a successful career.
( Burmese Bride and Bridegroom)
Yupar then recited the duties of parents and children
That she learned by heart since her kindergarten
Among others, parents must wed their progeny in time
Children must look after their parents in their decline
I said, “Sadu, Sadu, Sadu” to her chimes
Her mother was also pleased and joined
It was an auspicious day today so sublime
We are grateful to our good fortune that smiles.
Yupar then recited the duties of parents and children
That she learned by heart since her kindergarten
Among others, parents must wed their progeny in time
Children must look after their parents in their decline
I said, “Sadu, Sadu, Sadu” to her chimes
Her mother was also pleased and joined
It was an auspicious day today so sublime
We are grateful to our good fortune that smiles.

Dr Maung Maung Nyo
23. 11 .2008 (original)
Notes:
I. Five Duties of Parents:
(i) They restrain them from evil,
(ii) They encourage them to do good,
(iii) They train them for a profession,
(iv) They arrange a suitable marriage,
(v) At proper time they hand over their inheritance to them.
II. Five Duties f Children:
( i) Having supported me I shall support them,
(ii) I shall do their duties,
(iii) I shall keep the family tradition,
(iv) I shall make myself worthy of my inheritance,
(v) I shall offer alms in honor of my departed relatives.







No comments:
Post a Comment