November 30, 2008

I’m a Fortunate Man

Dr Maung Maung Nyo

I never thought I was so lucky
To be born in a Burmese family
That was happy and healthy
We’re all fed well and held dearly.



(The Mahamuni Buddha in Mandalay)

Because, I heard people are starving in Burma
Old people are begging in the streets for hunger
Some in Rangoon are drinking rice water
School children sell anything or beg in there.
(Dr Maung Maung Nyo & Dr Nan Ommar at
Flower Show in Canberra, Australia)

In our days, parents sent us to school every day
They fed us, clothed us and called on us always
My father used to give extra money and material
Whenever I topped the class or won prizes special
I had a happy and care free student life celestial
I thus reached the levels of premedical and medical.

(The Rangoon General Hospital belonging to
our Medical College, Rangoon)

Medical course was difficult and highly competitive
Some did not get admission, some hit and missed
Others were expelled by the 3-F system for their failures
I was fortunate to have passed examination every year
Monetary support was also not a problem for me either
I held premedical scholarship throughout student career.


(Convocation Hall of the University of Rangoon)

I knew some of my friends left the premedical course
They followed general arts and science degrees most
They entered government service or trade their parents chose
Some could not even join the university in remorse.

(Victims of Cyclone Nargis Waiting for Food and Money)

Parents’ economy was important for a student’s success
I remember poor Ma Tin Hla committed suicide
For lack of financial support in her educational quest
It was in 1955 premedical intermediate class of our batch
I also met one medical student doing the same at second MB
He was an orphan supported by friends and in dire poverty.

(Karen Refugees Arriving by Boat in Thailand)

The medical course was long and laborious
Many love and literary stories surrounded us
I remember a few left the medical school
For unrequited love or examination blues
I was fortunate I escaped those two
Yet, I was involved in literary and social pulls.
(Elephants Guarding the Gate to Thanbuddhay Pagoda)

I was commissioned as soon as I graduated
I did not have to wait for assess or to be vetted
I was posted to a big hospital with amenities attached
Nothing was impossible for me as my duty was reported
Not like others waiting for posting or looking for living
It’s much worse today as registration is on hold or pending.

(Thanbuddhay Pagoda in Monywa)

When people were looking for opportunity to go abroad
I was lucky I was offered state scholarship I sought
Not one, but two that I could choose, ponder and plot
I chose for a higher degree in London the best I thought.
(Tower Bridge, London, England)

I worked with devotion and diligence after my Ph.D.
I have taught and trained many undergraduates and PGs
I have much satisfaction in fulfilling the need of my country
It’s not like some who devoted for themselves and their family
Yes, I know they have more opulence, more money and luxury
But, I enjoy more satisfaction, peace of mind and body.


( Our Family in South Coast, Australia)

Being a Buddhist helps me too
I can soothe my self to be cool
I pay respects to Three Gems daily
I send loving kindness to every body
I know I’m nothing on scrutiny
I look forward to next life without worry.

(The Buddha Allaying Fear and Preaching First Sermon)

If I were to be born again as human
I wish I be born again in Burmese land
Well fed, well educated and a strong man
Capable of clothing and feeding fellow human
Educating and liberating them from poverty
I’ll be a brick in building a prosperous democratic country.


(The Ananda Temple Built by King Kyanzittha Denoting a
Prosperous and Peaceful Country that was once Burma)
When I look back to my family life
I have ups and downs on both sides
I have been very sentimental and romantic
I have suffered a bit and enjoyed a bit
But, my wife is wise and quite supportive
Our daughters are sincere and sympathetic
Nothing in us is unsavory or secretive
So, I say I’m fortunate to live.
(Buddha Healing a Sick Monk with Attending Shin Ananda)

Dr Maung Maung Nyo
01.12.2008 (original)

2 comments:

Ko Myo (SG) said...

Saya Nyo,

"If I were to be born again as human
I wish I be born again in Burmese land
Well fed, well educated and a strong man
Capable of clothing and feeding fellow human
Educating and liberating them from poverty
I’ll be a brick in building a prosperous democratic country."

I am deeply touched by the above paragraph of your poem. Though I live a comfortable life overseas, I feel sorry whenever I hear the bad news of our country and the dire poverty of our people. A proverb says, "Money is the root of all evils." But, as for some Burmese, poverty is becom ing the root of all evils. For the time being, I can't do anything to change the situation. I feel guilty of being an undutiful son of Mother Burma. Just like you, I also wanna be a brick in building a prosperous and democratic Burma. Hopefully, the law of Karma will give us a chance one day.


Btw, your poems are exquisite. Pls keep up writing, Saya.

Regards,

Ko Myo (SG)

Dr Maung Maung Nyo said...

Dear Ko Myo,
Thank you very much for your appreciation of my poem and spirit.
I also appreciate your feelings and Cetana.Hopefully, one day Burma will be prosperous and democratic.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Maung Maung Nyo