A Proud Photograph
Reminiscence of Donlaba Monk-hood
(Dr Maung Maung Nyo)
I’m happy whenever I see this photo
It portrays my parents and me in trio
I’m in monk robe with a parent each side
Proud father and model mother smile wide.

(Mahamuni Image in Mandalay)
We’re photographed during my monk-hood
When I joined Buddhist Order in rare mood
As a Donlaba Rahan in an unexpected move
I felt great and grateful the government approved.
(Ordination Ceremony in Thailand)
It was because I have been goal-oriented
I was working day and night un-relented
Neglecting party functionaries and bureaucrats
They made me pay by putting me in strait jacket
I was put under unnecessary investigative tests
They thought under pressure I would crack.
It was because I have been goal-oriented
I was working day and night un-relented
Neglecting party functionaries and bureaucrats
They made me pay by putting me in strait jacket
I was put under unnecessary investigative tests
They thought under pressure I would crack.
(Newly Ordained Monks)
But I came out unscathed
In fact I was invigorated
My fame and name elevated
Donlaba monk-hood I celebrated
My parents’ worries evaporated
They were in fact elated
Their son became illuminated
Now, he’s a Buddhist reincarnated.
(Newly Ordained Donlaba Monk)
They supported me from beginning to end of Donlaba
They said it was the rarest opportunity for an Upasaka
To enjoy the life of an ordained monk during the Sasana
As rare as personally meeting the enlightened Buddha
They were proud that they had become Sasana Dayaka
Like Dharmasoka who got this title after ordaining son Mahinda.
(A monk on Alm Round Begging for Swan, Rice)
My wife was also happy that I became mellow
I had been crisp and rigid, a difficult fellow
She was afraid I might remain so, a robot
Deprived of fun and follies that spice life I forgot.
I had been crisp and rigid, a difficult fellow
She was afraid I might remain so, a robot
Deprived of fun and follies that spice life I forgot.
(Uparli Thein, Ordination Hall, Built by King
Anawrahta in Pagan)
My friend s and colleagues came to my ordination
Even though I did not send them any invitation
They were pleased I won and showed admiration
They paid respects to Sangha and took part in celebration.
(Asoka Pillar Capital showing four lions roaring
for Dharma, Justice and Buddhism)
So, this photo reminds me of my Donlaba Ordination
It was a time of achievement in Buddhist religion
I cannot do it now if given million dollars in remuneration
Donlaba Rahan is really a rare opportunity in maturation
I think I have matured and gained a lot since its initiation
That I could not get from any where else in my education.
What did I gain during my temporary monk-hood time?
I had an insight to my self about my motives and designs
Whether I used them correctly to suit people and their styles
I saw my shortcomings as being out of tune with time;
The most appreciable benefit was I got absolute peace of mind
I no longer needed to worry for teaching or examination
I was no longer concerned with day to day administration
I could sit and meditate for long without any interruption.
I also gained a broad knowledge of monastic life
I read all the books kept at the Weizawtarone Monastery
The chief librarian, second senior most monk, lent me
All the books in due quantity to be read just right
That I could finish reading weekly, first lightly
Then heavy ones I had to read seriously.
I also enjoyed the Buddhist monk’s life
It is not as easy as seen from far and wide
You have to get up early with dawn light
You pray, wash and have Aryun Swan right
Then you prepare to don robes for collecting Swan
Donning properly is important and you have to learn
You must give your alm bowl to Kappiya on return
Then you disrobe, rest for some time, bathe and wait for alarm
Kappiya invites you to join the Sangha for day Swan.
After finishing the Day Swan you have to learn
There will be teachers for every level of lessons
Donlaba Rahan starts with basics of Buddha’s teachings
Other monks are learning to prepare for Pahtamapyan.
After the lesson, you rest for some time to right
Then, a senior monk will come and guide
What to read or how to meditate in sight
Then, in the evening you are called to recite
Lines from Parittas for the Buddhist rites
Either in the monastery or in homes people reside
You may just take soft drink for the whole night
It’s a terrible style of life that I found tight!
So, what did I gain in essence?
First, insight to my self and indulgences
Second, peace of mind and knowledge
Third, meditation practice in common usage
Fourth, first hand knowledge of monk-hood
Fifth, a sense of satisfaction that accrued
Finally, your courage and commitment approved.
So, this photo reminds me of my Donlaba Ordination
It was a time of achievement in Buddhist religion
I cannot do it now if given million dollars in remuneration
Donlaba Rahan is really a rare opportunity in maturation
I think I have matured and gained a lot since its initiation
That I could not get from any where else in my education.
What did I gain during my temporary monk-hood time?
I had an insight to my self about my motives and designs
Whether I used them correctly to suit people and their styles
I saw my shortcomings as being out of tune with time;
The most appreciable benefit was I got absolute peace of mind
I no longer needed to worry for teaching or examination
I was no longer concerned with day to day administration
I could sit and meditate for long without any interruption.
I also gained a broad knowledge of monastic life
I read all the books kept at the Weizawtarone Monastery
The chief librarian, second senior most monk, lent me
All the books in due quantity to be read just right
That I could finish reading weekly, first lightly
Then heavy ones I had to read seriously.
I also enjoyed the Buddhist monk’s life
It is not as easy as seen from far and wide
You have to get up early with dawn light
You pray, wash and have Aryun Swan right
Then you prepare to don robes for collecting Swan
Donning properly is important and you have to learn
You must give your alm bowl to Kappiya on return
Then you disrobe, rest for some time, bathe and wait for alarm
Kappiya invites you to join the Sangha for day Swan.
After finishing the Day Swan you have to learn
There will be teachers for every level of lessons
Donlaba Rahan starts with basics of Buddha’s teachings
Other monks are learning to prepare for Pahtamapyan.
After the lesson, you rest for some time to right
Then, a senior monk will come and guide
What to read or how to meditate in sight
Then, in the evening you are called to recite
Lines from Parittas for the Buddhist rites
Either in the monastery or in homes people reside
You may just take soft drink for the whole night
It’s a terrible style of life that I found tight!
So, what did I gain in essence?
First, insight to my self and indulgences
Second, peace of mind and knowledge
Third, meditation practice in common usage
Fourth, first hand knowledge of monk-hood
Fifth, a sense of satisfaction that accrued
Finally, your courage and commitment approved.
Respected by the Untouchables in India)
I can therefore understand
I can therefore understand
Why many men enter Donlaba monk-hood
Many Buddhists saying, to be a mature man
You must have been a monk proved
Only then parents could be Buddha's Supporter
From Empire Asoka to King Anawrahta
From King Mindon to my parents in Burma
They took pride and pleasure out of this ordination
I'm glad I have given my parents their satisfaction
I also empathize with Dr Ambedkar of India
For changing to Buddhism from Dalit Caste
Converting thousands of his poor followers
To Buddhist faith and ordained some to monks
He had done great merits for himself and others
I say, "Sadu, Sadu, Sadu" for all to hear.
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
22.11.2008 (original)
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
22.11.2008 (original)
Notes:
Aryun = Dawn
Dayakar = Supporter of Buddhism
Dalit = Lowest Hindu Caste, the Untouchables
Dhammasoka = Empire Asoka for his sense of justice
Donlaba = Rare or Difficult Opportunity,Temporary
Kappiya = Lay server at monastery
Mahinda = Son of Empire Asoka donning Buddhist Robe
Pahtamapyan = Three level examination in Pali Pitaka
Parittas = Buddhist Scriptures used for Recital to repel evil
Rahan = Ordained monk
Sasana = Buddhist Teachings/Buddhist Era
Swan = Cooked Rice for monk, meal for monk
Upasakar = Buddhist laity







No comments:
Post a Comment