My First Love Burmese Beauty
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
My heart leaped up when I first saw her
She’s a Burmese beauty in princess posture
Sweet, secretive and smiling like Mona Lisa
Wears a royal silk Htami and Engyi in splendor
Looks at you coyly and enchantingly with enigma
I was captivated capriciously in the first encounter.
Actually it was the portrait of Sao Ohn Nyunt
Drawn by Sir Gerald Kelly of Royal Arts Institute
She was introduced to him by a friend in London
When she accompanied her brother in law to England
Who was the Sawbwa of Hsipaw before World War II
He was attending Britain- Burma Parley for British Rule.
Sir Gerald Kelly sketched several while she posed
About fourteen at first, but more as painting closed
He painted about thirty pictures in oil in several poses
He sold them one by one on reprints and canvas modes
Ultimately the selling surpassed a million mark in copies
It’s now the most famous painted beauty that is worthy.
Yes, I saw her portrait first in Glasgow then in London
Later I found it in New York, Washington and Michigan
Recently I saw it in Kuala Lumpur and Sydney in tandem
Now I read about her on the Internet Website of a Shan.
It gives me great pleasure and pride as a true Burman
More so as I saw photo of her self and portrait on stand
Unbelievable ultimate utmost upbeat unending bangs
I felt them in my heart, in my head and in my hands!
The article was written by one Mr P Basset of Australia
He met her whil he was serving as diplomat in Burma
He and his wife cherished her portrait as treasure
They gave her dinner and got autograph on the picture
I really salute them for their love of art and real beauty
Bassetts, Sir Gerald Kelly and Sao Ohn Nyunt made history
We Burmese should take national pride as rare opportunity!
(Mr Basset who Met and Wrote about Sao Ohn Nyunt)
Dr Maung Maung Nyo
28.11.1008 (original)





No comments:
Post a Comment